Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Poor Man's Patching

To test the map I logged onto bnet the other night, which gave me the 1.22 patch. Hah what's the worst that could happen?

How about the map crashing at seemingly random times with an access violation and no call stack to trace through? Yuck.

After a day of letting my AI players run through the map on 3 different computers (so glad I chose to build AIs even though they've been a horrible time sink), I was finally able to pinpoint the problem.

The Black King's Spoils of Conquest power, based on the Tranquility spell, sometimes crashed the game...not often but once identified it was reproducable (on my map, but not on a test map unfortunately). Thank goodness for the Logs folder saving replays for crashing games!

I thought it was my trigger, but it would crash even with that disabled. I had removed the Tranquility (Target) buff from the power, but once I put it back the crashing seems to have stopped. Oh boy I sure hope the issue is limited to that power.